Hi, I'm Aaron
A full-stack web developer, an instructional designer, and general man about the interwebs.
I've been developing media for education since 1998. I started as an assistant for Salt Lake Community College's E-Business Technology program. Since then, I've worked with the University of Utah S.J. Quinney College of Law and done a fair amount of freelance and consulting work. I currently wear a number of hats at Extegrity Inc., including development and maintenance of the Exam4 family of sites and web services.
I have an M.Ed. in educational psychology with an emphasis on instructional design from the University of Utah. In addition to full-stack web development, I'm interested in the psychology behind effective technology-based or technology-assisted instruction.
2012 - presentExtegrity Inc.Director of Web Services Sometimes "Harbinger of Interwebs"
I wear a lot of hats in this role. I'll bullet-point some of the more interesting ones:
TechnologiesFront endBack endServersServices & IntegrationsVarious Other TechnologiesDesign & PrototypingDesktop & Mobile Development
- Design, develop, and maintain at least six web apps. I manage the entire back-end from databases to servers both hosted and local.
- Provide internal IT support ranging from OS installs, to email, to VPN servers, etc.
- Provide end-user support via Zendesk.
- Lead team providing technical and software support for the bi-annual Arizona State Bar Exam.
- Design and developed working prototype exam client software for macOS 10.14+.
2008 - 2012University of Utah S.J. Quinney College of LawFull-stack Web Developer + Instructional Designer + Media Producer
This was an excellent and fullfilling time for me. Here are the bullets:
TechnologiesFront endBack endDesktop & Mobile DevelopmentVideo & Design
- Designed, developed, and managed over 28 institutional websites.
- Developed and maintained several desktop and mobile applications for Windows, macOS, and iOS.
- Provided IT support to faculty and students.
- Produced a variety of instructional resources, included animated instructional video for law courses.
- Produced videos, images, other assets, and mock news websites for counter-terrorism simulations.
2007 - 2008
LDS Audiovisual DeptShort video producer + IT manager
Assisted with creation of a new "small jobs" shop for short format and quick-turnaround videos. Built and managed video editing workstations.
2001 - 2004Aperture LaboratoriesApparatus Tester
Tested various apparatus for Science.Okay, not really. This one's a joke. I might owe you cake if you picked up on it.
Selected Talks & Presentations
Herd, A. (2009, June). Polishing Your Digital Identity. Talk presented at the CALI Conference for Law School Computing (CALI 2009), Boulder, CO.
Herd, A., Christiansen, W. (2008, June). The Proactive Front-Line Help Desk: Management & Multimedia. Session presented at the CALI Conference for Law School Computing (CALI 2008), Baltimore, MA.