The Actiontec GT784WN is a pretty nice DSL modem/wireless N router. For most of you, it will work right out of the box — even auto-detecting all your settings.
If you’re on Qwest/CenturyLink, not so much. In fact, they’ll try to tell you that the modem isn’t even compatible.
In fact, it’s not only compatible, it’s pretty easy to set up. I’m going to repeat some of the normal setup steps here. If you know what you’re doing, skip to #7.
- Just do like the Quick Start Guide says, plug it into the phone line, then into the wall, then wait for the DSL light to turn solid.
- Then connect to it via the Ethernet cable and head on over to http://192.168.0.1.
- Skip the Quick Setup and hit the Advanced Setup link. Now find WAN IP Settings on the left.
- Set the ISP Protocol to PPPoE.
- Under #3, enter your Qwest/CenturyLink username and password. (The username will be some kind of email address. I got these directly from Qwest when I signed up.)
- Mash Apply at the bottom of the screen.
- Now, find Broadband Settings on the left menu. It can be easy to pass up because it looks like a section heading more than a link.
- Change VCI to 32 and mash Apply.
- Order a pizza online. Because you should be online now. And it’s pizza.